The purpose of each School Council is to help the school provide the best possible education for its students.
The school council:
- is accountable to the Board of Governors and also to parents and the wider community for the way it carries out its functions;
- seeks to develop effective working relationships with the principal, staff and parents; ESF management; other schools and the wider community;
- acts at all times in accordance with the requirements laid down in the Ordinance and Regulations;
- is a collective entity and acts as a group. No one councillor or category of councillors has any right to act individually except when the school council has delegated authority to do so.
The strength of a school council lies in the talents and commitments of its members, and in their ability to work together as a team for the good of the school.
The BHS Council has 10 members, comprised of the following:-
- a Chairman, appointed by the Board, who is neither an employee of ESF nor the parent of a student at the School
- 2 persons from the general community who are neither employees of ESF nor parents of students at the School, appointed by the Board;
- 2 persons elected by members of the teaching staff of BHS from among their own number;
- 2 parents who are not employees of ESF, one elected by the parent members of our PTA committee and one elected by the parents of the School;
- 1 person elected by the support staff of BHS from among their own number;
- the Chief Executive Officer of ESF, or her appointed delegate;
- the Principal.
The Council has meetings 5-6 times each year.